Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lazy Blogging Week

I've been slacking pretty badly this week on my blogging, possibly because I feel myself doing work that is more immediately remunerative than the work I was doing a few weeks back. But I intend to keep the posts coming, even if they're just links.

This comes from the ever delightful, Strange Maps. I think this is pretty great, even though it took me a while to understand what I was looking at.

As we’ve all learned in school, 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, only 30% is solid ground. What if everything was reversed? What if every land mass was a body of water, and vice versa?

This map explores that question, and it is fantastic in at least three definitions of that word: fanciful, implausible and marvelous. The interior of China is marked by a spouting whale, a sailboat ploughs the waves of the Brazilian Ocean, a school of fish traverse the watery wastes of Siberia, large cities dominate places rarely frequented by people in this universe…

No comments: