Thursday, June 7, 2007

Countdown to Bloomsday

We're just 9 days from the world's best secular holiday, and I still don't know what I'll be doing. Chances are that I'll be driving across the country, past many very great Bloomsday celebrations, and missing out on all the Guiness and nerdiness that I so enjoy.

Over at University Diaries, they're keeping an eye on the forthcoming holiday.

UD writes, "There was a distinct moment, while I was teaching Ulysses last semester, when my enthusiastic class seemed to get it -- seemed to sense the biggest truth about that novel, its effort to draw every bit of us, to show us absolutely everything that we are, physically, mentally, spiritually, the worst and the best, so that we can know, and accept, what we are."

That seems to me a pretty good summation of what the day and book are about. Even if you haven't read it, I suggest you find yourself a Bloomsday celebration. It should convince you.

No comments: